About "Eat My Words"

About this blog

"Eat My Words" is a long time in the making. There is no question that my favorite activity is eating, but beyond that obvious fact, I especially like visiting new restaurants and trying new foods.

That's where the "Adventures in Dining" comes in. I won't be reviewing chain restaurants. The food may be fine, but there is no adventure to a Bob Evans, Applebee's, or Olive Garden! The only time I may blog about one of these establishments might be to comment on something unusual - whether it be good or bad - that may have occurred during my visit. Otherwise, I will be focusing on small, local restaurants that feature unique menu items.

I am not a food snob. I do not have any culinary training. I like what I like and will share my thoughts regarding my meal, a restaurant's ambiance, the attentiveness of the staff, and any other thoughts that may come to mind. Hopefully, readers will enjoy my reviews and try these restaurants for themselves.

Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to share your own feedback!

Gary Dougherty
November 24, 2010

UPDATE (October 13, 2012): I'm back!! For a variety of reasons (none of them good), I have not posted any reviews for about 18 months. Rest assured, I have continued to eat...just not write! I hope you enjoy my culinary adventures and I welcome any recommendations you might have for me. Bon appetit!








Friday, January 21, 2011

Lee Garden

January 19, 2010

Lee Garden
2691 Federated Boulevard
Dublin, OH 43235
(614) 764-1525

I don't know how long Lee Garden has been in operation, but it has been here at least for the last 17+ years I have lived in the northwest quadrant of Central Ohio.  A fairly large space, it is nestled in a strip mall just east of Sawmill Road.

Lee Garden is one of those places where my sense of adventure deserts me...not because there aren't adventurous menu items, but because I really enjoy their Kung Pao Chicken and General Tso's Chicken.  I will generally alternate between the two.

On this visit, my daughters and I went out on a Wednesday evening.  As we were seated, I noticed that there was only one couple in the restaurant at the time.  Shortly after we were seated, a single patron joined the "crowd."  Unfortunately, it was just the six of us for the entire time we were there.  It pains me to say that this is not unusual.  I don't understand why more people don't patronize Lee Garden.  The food is good, the service is fine, and the price is right. 

Before I share any more about this dinner, I have to tell you about a visit a couple years ago.  Lori and I went to Lee Garden for dinner.  At one point during our meal, our server came to the table and asked me if my name was Larry.  Quite puzzled, I said "No, it's Gary."  He said "Oh, we have your picture on the wall!"  OK, now I'm really puzzled.  Then it occurred to me...actually I believe it was Lori who figured it out.

A few months before, I had done an interview with the Columbus Dispatch for its "Where I Eat" feature that appears every Thursday in the Weekender section.  (As a matter of fact, you can read my interview by clicking here!)  I had said that Lee Garden was one of my favorite restaurants.  As a result, this interview had been carefully cut out and posted on the bulletin board as you walk into the restaurant!  It appeared in the newspaper on August 14, 2008 and it is still on the bulletin board!  

Well, on this most recent visit, the girls decided to share a chicken and broccoli dish and before I got a chance to order, our server (the same one who asked if I was Larry a couple years before!) said "General Tso's?"  My lack of adventure at Lee Garden had betrayed me.  He knew what I was going to order!  So, I had the General Tso's Chicken!

Lee Garden does have one of the best General Tso's Chicken that I have had and I was not disappointed this evening.  With an egg roll dipped in a mixture of sweet and sour sauce and hot mustard, it was, once again, an enjoyable dinner.  

Now, about that sense of adventure!  I hereby pledge to expand my horizons on my next visit to Lee Garden.  No longer will the server know what I will order.  Lee Garden is known for its Dim Sum, so I plan to try that.  Also, I hear they have very good Chicken Feet!  I've never had Chicken Feet, but I'm going to surprise them, as well as my dining partner, and order Chicken Feet on a future visit!

Lee Garden does not have a website nor do they have a Facebook presence.  You're just going to have to go on my recommendation...and please do visit.  I get a little more discouraged each time I stop by and there are only a few people there.  Be sure to check out my interview posted on the bulletin board and tell them that I sent you!

Oh...almost forgot.  My fortune from this most recent visit?  "Welcome change."  OK!  Bring on the Chicken Feet!!

No comments:

Post a Comment