About "Eat My Words"

About this blog

"Eat My Words" is a long time in the making. There is no question that my favorite activity is eating, but beyond that obvious fact, I especially like visiting new restaurants and trying new foods.

That's where the "Adventures in Dining" comes in. I won't be reviewing chain restaurants. The food may be fine, but there is no adventure to a Bob Evans, Applebee's, or Olive Garden! The only time I may blog about one of these establishments might be to comment on something unusual - whether it be good or bad - that may have occurred during my visit. Otherwise, I will be focusing on small, local restaurants that feature unique menu items.

I am not a food snob. I do not have any culinary training. I like what I like and will share my thoughts regarding my meal, a restaurant's ambiance, the attentiveness of the staff, and any other thoughts that may come to mind. Hopefully, readers will enjoy my reviews and try these restaurants for themselves.

Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to share your own feedback!

Gary Dougherty
November 24, 2010

UPDATE (October 13, 2012): I'm back!! For a variety of reasons (none of them good), I have not posted any reviews for about 18 months. Rest assured, I have continued to eat...just not write! I hope you enjoy my culinary adventures and I welcome any recommendations you might have for me. Bon appetit!








Sunday, January 23, 2011

Kogen's Far East Fare

January 22, 2011

Kogen's
9711 Sawmill Parkway
Powell, OH 43065
(614) 798-8882

Central Ohioans, in particular, will recall the Mark Pi chain of restaurants that, at their peak, numbered about 90 in cities all across the country.  About 18 months ago, the culinary torch was officially passed to his son, Mark Pi, Jr.  A resident of Powell, the younger Pi opened Kogen's Far East Fare in a strip center on the southeast corner of Sawmill Parkway and Powell Road.

(Photo from Kogen's Facebook page)

Living less than a mile away, I have made several visits to Kogen's in the past year and a half.  The food has been consistently good and the service is always attentive and respectful.

The resemblance between the former Mark Pi restaurants and Kogen's ends with the Pi lineage.  Whereas the Mark Pi format was more of a fast-service style, Kogen's is a full-service restaurant with a menu of items from throughout the Far East with an emphasis on sushi.

The interior of the restaurant is contemporary and very welcoming with booths, tables, and a sushi bar as well as (weather permitting) a nice outdoor patio area.

(Photo from Kogen's Facebook page)

Prior to seeing The King's Speech (an outstanding movie, by the way), Lori and I stopped by Kogen's for dinner.  On this evening, we selected the Veggie Tempura, a selection of asparagus, broccoli, mushrooms, onion, sweet potato, and zucchini coated in a tempura batter and fried.  Very good!

For my entree, I chose the Thai Spicy Coconut Shrimp.  Served with your choice of white, brown, or fried rice, the dish included about ten nice sized shrimp prepared with coconut, Thai spices and served with a curry sauce.  Whereas the flavors were distinctive, the spices were just right.  Included in the dish were carrot slices, mushrooms, and zucchini.

Lori had the Classic Mongolian which consisted of chicken and vegetables stir-fried with white and green onions on a bed of crispy noodles.  It was also very good...or at least the leftovers were that she let me keep for the following day!

Still having time before we had to leave for the movie, we opted for dessert.  On a previous visit, our server spoke highly of one of the restaurant's newest items - Tempura Funnel Cake!  It quickly assumed the top spot on my list of guilty pleasures!  Therefore, we ordered it again!

(Photo from Kogen's Facebook page)

The tempura style funnel cake is served with two scoops of vanilla ice cream on the side and covered with a whipped topping and chocolate drizzle.  Whereas the funnel cake was very good on this visit, it wasn't quite as crispy as it was the first time we had it.  The menu states that the funnel cake is also served with seasonal fruit.  There was no fruit this time, but, perhaps with temperatures in the single digits, there are no seasonal fruits!  Anyway, why mess with fruit when you can have funnel cake, ice cream, and chocolate sauce?  I'm not sure how Asian a funnel cake is, but it is one nice dessert!  Reasonably priced at $5.95, it easily serves two people.

I also found the naming of the restaurant a nice story.  Apparently, the wish of Mark Pi, Sr.'s mother's that her grandson be named after his father was granted and he became Mark Pi, Jr.  However, his nickname, and the name that his father reportedly wanted to give him, is Kogen. 

Kogen's has quickly become one of my favorite Asian restaurants and I highly recommend it.  Visit their website or Facebook page, but, more importantly, visit the restaurant.  I am confident you will become a fan!

No comments:

Post a Comment