About "Eat My Words"

About this blog

"Eat My Words" is a long time in the making. There is no question that my favorite activity is eating, but beyond that obvious fact, I especially like visiting new restaurants and trying new foods.

That's where the "Adventures in Dining" comes in. I won't be reviewing chain restaurants. The food may be fine, but there is no adventure to a Bob Evans, Applebee's, or Olive Garden! The only time I may blog about one of these establishments might be to comment on something unusual - whether it be good or bad - that may have occurred during my visit. Otherwise, I will be focusing on small, local restaurants that feature unique menu items.

I am not a food snob. I do not have any culinary training. I like what I like and will share my thoughts regarding my meal, a restaurant's ambiance, the attentiveness of the staff, and any other thoughts that may come to mind. Hopefully, readers will enjoy my reviews and try these restaurants for themselves.

Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to share your own feedback!

Gary Dougherty
November 24, 2010

UPDATE (October 13, 2012): I'm back!! For a variety of reasons (none of them good), I have not posted any reviews for about 18 months. Rest assured, I have continued to eat...just not write! I hope you enjoy my culinary adventures and I welcome any recommendations you might have for me. Bon appetit!








Saturday, March 2, 2013

Wedgewood Pub & Grill (December 12, 2012)

Wedgewood Pub & Grill

9890 Brewster Lane
Powell, OH 43065

614/718-0355
http://www.wedgewoodpub.com/

Wedgewood Pub & Grill has been open for five years or so at the end of a strip center just off of Sawmill Parkway, south of Powell Road.  Neither fancy nor pretentious, it has a pleasant neighborhood sports bar feel to it.  I’ve been there several times, usually taking my teenage girls there for dinner on a weeknight.  During such times, it is family friendly and I have never felt uncomfortable bringing the girls here. 

As a bar, the Wedgewood’s menu isn’t very aggressive or imaginative, but it does offer decent pub food.

On this visit, my oldest daughter, Molly, and I ordered the Deep Fried Green Beans ($7.00) for an appetizer as we have many times before. 
 
 
The coating on the beans is nice and crunchy while still retaining the taste of green beans.  Each time we have ordered this appetizer, it has always been served with a ranch wasabi sauce.  Unfortunately, this time the beans came with a small cup of sour cream – not the same.

Molly ordered the Buffalo Chicken Wrap ($7.00), but when it arrived, it didn’t even have a hint of buffalo sauce.  After bringing this to the server’s attention, she made a comment like “I don’t know what they’re doing back there” and returned with a small cup of buffalo sauce in which to dip the sandwich.  Again, not the same as chicken prepared in buffalo sauce.

My entrĂ©e was better.  I ordered the Pub Club ($9.00) which, as one might imagine, consisted of turkey, ham, and bacon with lettuce and tomato on toasted sourdough bread. 
 
 
I asked for the beer battered onion rings and received at least eight large rings.  I’m a sucker for onion rings and the Wedgewood rings are among the best I’ve had in a while.

The sour cream and buffalo sauce missteps made for a somewhat frustrating visit this time, but, generally, the Wedgewood Pub & Grill offers good pub fare.  The service is sometimes inconsistent, but the staff is always very nice.

UPDATE:

A recent trip back to the Wedgewood Pub & Grill resulted in an experience that was more typical..and pleasant.  The deep fried green beans were accompanied by the wasabi ranch sauce also!

No comments:

Post a Comment