About "Eat My Words"

About this blog

"Eat My Words" is a long time in the making. There is no question that my favorite activity is eating, but beyond that obvious fact, I especially like visiting new restaurants and trying new foods.

That's where the "Adventures in Dining" comes in. I won't be reviewing chain restaurants. The food may be fine, but there is no adventure to a Bob Evans, Applebee's, or Olive Garden! The only time I may blog about one of these establishments might be to comment on something unusual - whether it be good or bad - that may have occurred during my visit. Otherwise, I will be focusing on small, local restaurants that feature unique menu items.

I am not a food snob. I do not have any culinary training. I like what I like and will share my thoughts regarding my meal, a restaurant's ambiance, the attentiveness of the staff, and any other thoughts that may come to mind. Hopefully, readers will enjoy my reviews and try these restaurants for themselves.

Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to share your own feedback!

Gary Dougherty
November 24, 2010

UPDATE (October 13, 2012): I'm back!! For a variety of reasons (none of them good), I have not posted any reviews for about 18 months. Rest assured, I have continued to eat...just not write! I hope you enjoy my culinary adventures and I welcome any recommendations you might have for me. Bon appetit!








Monday, December 13, 2010

Asian Garden Buffet

December 13, 2010

Asian Garden Buffet
8633 Columbus Pike
Lewis Center, OH 43035
(740) 549-1888

What is it about Asian buffets?  Why do I feel periodically compelled to visit them?  I generally regret if afterward, but every few months I return only to binge on the tasteless, mass-produced chicken and beef offerings before swearing that I won't ever do it again.

Today was just such a day.  After a meeting in Delaware this morning, I headed south for my office in downtown Columbus.  Not wanting to interrupt the rest of my day for lunch, I decided to stop at Asian Garden Buffet just north of the Route 23/Powell Road intersection for an early bite to eat.

My girls and I had visited Asian Garden Buffet several times when they were younger (and their palate was still undeveloped!).  We gave it a nickname that is not appropriate to repeat in this forum, but ask me about it and I'll tell you the story.

Having been open for half an hour by the time I arrived, there were already a few patrons in the restaurant.  I was promptly greeted and offered my choice of a table or booth.  Selecting my booth and ordering a diet, I made my way to the buffet.

I opted for the white rice and mentally divided my plate into quarters.  The first quarter was occupied by a small helping of General Tso's Chicken, followed by Japanese Chicken, Ma La Chicken, and Mongolian Pork.  I topped the plate off with two Crab Rangoons.  I know...sounds a bit overindulgent, doesn't it?

As usual, it was difficult to differentiate between the tastes of the four items.  None of the items were seasoned particularly well, but, if forced, I would have to say that the Japanese Chicken was the tastiest.  The chicken was cooked with red and green peppers and onions and had the most distinctive taste.  The General Tso's Chicken, typically a spicy dish, was bathed in a sauce that was sweeter than it should have been and packed nary a zesty punch. 

Even though they featured two different proteins, the Ma La Chicken and Mongolian Pork were virtually identical in taste.  The Crab Rangoons were undoubtedly prepared by the thousands by an offsite vendor.

The service was good as the staff visited my table several times to refill my diluted diet cola.

But do you know the worst part of this?  There's just something about an Asian buffet that I like...and I will be back, but probably not for several months!

Oh, and the fortune cookie?  It read "You will be free of the heavy burdens you have been carrying."  Well, we'll see about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment