About "Eat My Words"

About this blog

"Eat My Words" is a long time in the making. There is no question that my favorite activity is eating, but beyond that obvious fact, I especially like visiting new restaurants and trying new foods.

That's where the "Adventures in Dining" comes in. I won't be reviewing chain restaurants. The food may be fine, but there is no adventure to a Bob Evans, Applebee's, or Olive Garden! The only time I may blog about one of these establishments might be to comment on something unusual - whether it be good or bad - that may have occurred during my visit. Otherwise, I will be focusing on small, local restaurants that feature unique menu items.

I am not a food snob. I do not have any culinary training. I like what I like and will share my thoughts regarding my meal, a restaurant's ambiance, the attentiveness of the staff, and any other thoughts that may come to mind. Hopefully, readers will enjoy my reviews and try these restaurants for themselves.

Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to share your own feedback!

Gary Dougherty
November 24, 2010

UPDATE (October 13, 2012): I'm back!! For a variety of reasons (none of them good), I have not posted any reviews for about 18 months. Rest assured, I have continued to eat...just not write! I hope you enjoy my culinary adventures and I welcome any recommendations you might have for me. Bon appetit!








Friday, December 31, 2010

Liberty Tavern

December 27, 2010

Liberty Tavern
50 S. Liberty Street
Powell, OH 43065
(614) 825-0500

After lunch at Local Roots (see review below), another Powell eatery, and a relaxing afternoon, Lori's and my dinner destination proved to be just down the street at Liberty Tavern.  It is said to have been named after the original Liberty Tavern in Boston which historians have referred to as the place "where America was born!"

The restaurant sits in quaint downtown Powell and is filled with liberty-related paraphernalia, including replicas of the Statue of Liberty and the Liberty Bell.  Upon entering, one is immediately thrust into the tavern atmosphere with a generous bar area to the right and dark wood seating to the left and beyond.


We were greeted by a nice young man who took us around the bar into the Ben Franklin Room.  What we didn't realize was that kids eat free on Mondays and Tuesdays at Liberty Tavern and on this night, they all seemed to be in the Ben Franklin Room!



Our table was the one in the corner of the room as seen above.  The table itself was a bit wobbly...I suppose adding to the endearing nature of the tavern.

We began our dinner with the Spinach and Artichoke Dip which was accompanied by crispy pita chips.  It was nice and creamy and didn't last long.  I am a lover...of garlic (!), but if you are not, you may want to steer away from this appetizer. 

It is unusual for me not to order a seafood soup when it is available.  Although I did not order it on this visit, I have previously had the She Crab Bisque.  It is quite good and I recommend it.

In keeping with the patriotic theme of the restaurant, I chose the Red, White & Blue Burger for dinner.  The half-pound burger featured roasted red peppers, white onions, and melted bleu cheese and was big enough to satisfy any patriot's appetite!  Incredibly, this marvelously jingoistic burger shared a plate with (gasp) French fries!

Once again, we opted not to have dessert, but if we did, we undoubtedly would have selected the Liberty Sticks which the menu describes as "light fluffy funnel cake sticks...dusted with cinnamon and powdered sugar."  Hmmm, perhaps next time!

Undoubtedly, there will be a next time.  I'll just have to be careful to check the calendar first to see if it's a Kids Night!  I have nothing against kids (I have two myself!), but I find that, at least in a restaurant setting, I am becoming less tolerant of the younger variety.

Liberty Tavern maintains a website and Facebook page.  Be sure to visit these sites as well as the restaurant itself.  I have never been disappointed in their tavern fare.

(Photos from Liberty Tavern's website)

No comments:

Post a Comment